Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sweet-tart Panha and calvin n hobbes : making summer memories



The first time I heard about panha was from Nupur’s One hot stove. A drink made out of raw mangoes, my curiosity was piqued. Two weeks back, while sharing summer stories with my friend who hails from U.P, this drink came up again- back home we beat the summer heat with sweet panha, she had said. So the next time we got raw mangoes from Indian store,we didn't think twice about what to do with it. We wanted to try some of the juice without the loaded sugar, and decided to make a sweet panha and a tart panha, and also some summer memories.

recipe
Raw mango : 1
Jaggery : 1 small piece
Flavoring of your choice: ¼ t (cardamom, cumin or if you are feeling very adventurous go ahead and add your favourite spice. I am thinking of using ginger the next time we make panha)
Fresh Mint

Pressure cook the mango in about 2 cups of water for three to four whistles. If you are not using a pressure cooker simply boil the mango with enough water until the mango is thoroughly cooked and fall apart easily.
Remove the skin and seed, add powdered cumin or cardamom or your choice of flavoring, and mash the pulp well.

Sweet panha: process the pulp with jaggery in a blender until the jaggery melts, add enough cold water and serve chilled with a little freshly chopped mint. You may want to adjust the sweetness to your taste. My friend suggests adding just a pinch of salt to the sweet drink to bring out its sweetness.

Tart panha: add about a teaspoon of scrapped jaggery, a pinch of salt , and a dash of chat masala to the prepared pulp, pour enough water , chill and serve.




Looking for the perfect accompaniment for this refreshing sweet-tart drink? Trust me; you can’t do better than delightful and astounding Calvin n Hobbes.

12 comments:

Sumitha said...

Yummy looking panha Reshma,must give it a try when I manage to find some good RAW mangoes!

Anonymous said...

Good one Reshma. I am searching for more such drinks these days.This is a great addition to my collection.

BDSN said...

gREAT DRINK rESHMA!!!tHIS IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

Vineela said...

Hi Reshma,
looks yummy.
I HAVE TO TRY PANHA ONE DAY.
vineela

reshma said...

Thank you all! and happy panha-ing:)

Anonymous said...

panha..panha..yehaam se aana,ye koi baath hein...(sorry,it is is tanha..in the song!) :)

Krithika said...

I like Panha. Thanks for sharing this recipe

Anonymous said...

Reshma, I have tagged you for meme. Hope you will write about it. Thanks

BDSN said...

HEy Reshma...
WEll i have tagged you..SO drop by my blog ...

Anonymous said...

I love Panha, make it at home during the summer season.
Your pics look good!

indianadoc said...

Raw mangoes...You have me drooling here!!

Anonymous said...

Hey I think u r not active on this blog well check mine at Recipes Blog