Monday, June 19, 2006

How can I hold a moon beam in my hands?



Shilpa from Aayi's recipes tagged me with the meme 10 Things I miss the most from my mom's cooking and BDSN from Taste Corner tagged me with 10 Dishes I miss the most. It made sense to me to combine the memes, and so here's my list

10 Dishes that I miss the most from my mom's kitchen : (not in any order)

The single line from the song from the movie Sound of Music is playing continously in my head now How do you hold a moon beam in your hand :)

1. Fish Molly : a coconut milk based fish curry which combines a trace of tanginess from the tamarind and sweet richness of fresh coconut milk .

2. Ripe plantain halwa: well ripe plaintain is mashed and cooked with ghee and sugar . Having no preservatives in it, this home made halwa won't keep good for more than a week, well it can't last longer than a week in our home anyways :)

3. Neeriya pathiri : A very traditional Malabari rice-roti , that's rolled out so thin that it's almost transparent.

4. Puttu : Her puttu is what puttu ought to be, so soft yet firm enough to hold its shape.

5. Drumstick leaf- jackfruit seed curry: simply good!

6. Semiya Biriyani: This is one snack that has been in my home since I can remember, thin strands of vermicelli and shredded chicken cooked with spices.

7. Her Chai: early morning, half awake me, newspaper, mom with chai - that's home for me.

8. Kadukka nirachathu / stuffed and fried mussels: a cup of tea, a plate of kadukka nirachathu and the music of rain - all smiles

9. Drumstick- shrimp-jackfruit curry: yes, am an ardent fan of the drumstick tree. This curry is eaten with plain rice.

10. I don't want to fill this space , because How can I hold a moon beam in my hands?
blame it on the song!

This was fun for me Shilpa and BDSN, Thanks for sharing this experience !
And , now that you have kindled all my culinary memories, I am off to my home tomorrow for a two months vacation. Adios Friends! Eat well and Be well!

21 comments:

RP said...

Have a great vacation!
And when you get time, please share the recipe for Ripe plantain halwa.

Sumitha said...

Wow,vacation!lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Thats a good list :). Have a great vacation.

Anonymous said...

Have a great vaccation Reshma..Lucky you!!

BDSN said...

Hey Reshma...
Enjoy your two month vacation!!Cant wait to see more great recipes from your blog!

Mahek said...

hi
i am tagging you for a meme
CONFESSIONSINAGROUPOFFIVE
PLS DO IT IF YOU ENJOY IT
BYE

archana said...

Have a happy time at home Reshma.
Archana

indianadoc said...

Enjoy your vacation dear!!

:: niKk | നിക്ക് :: said...

LG ടെ blog ല്‍ നിന്ന് ഇവിടെയെത്തി.

രേഷ്മ എടുത്തതാണോ ആ ഫോട്ടോഗ്രാഫ് ? നന്നായിട്ടുണ്ട്. :)

പാചകക്കുറിപ്പിനെക്കുറിച്ച് അഭിപ്രായം പറയാന്‍ ഞാനാളല്ല :)

Anonymous said...

I am Rajeesh.C.V, I am running a blog called http://keralastyle.blogspot.com/ and while searching I found your blog also handle the same topic. Would like to do a link exchange (ie I will put your blogs link in my link section and u have to do the same in ur blog also). Let me know whether u r interested or not. The advantage of doing this is, it will increase the traffic to both of your blogs. Please contact me at cvrajeesh@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

രേഷ്മേ,
തിരിച്ച് വരാറായില്ലെ? ഒക്റ്റോബറില്‍ വരൂന്നാണല്ലൊ പറഞ്ഞിരുന്നേ? എന്തോരം ദിവസാ ഈ കുട്ടിക്ക് വെക്കേഷന്‍?

Anonymous said...

Reshma, have a nice time !

Inji Pennu said...

Reshmakkutteeee
ivide aarenkilum undo? dum dum dum...

de ente blog
http://injimanga.blogspot.com

Inji Pennu said...

എന്റെ രേഷ്മേ..ഒന്ന് അടുക്കളയില്‍ കയറൂന്നെ

reshma said...

Thank you Friends:)am back and good. taking a break from food blogging for now:)

ജിഞ്ചര്‍ ഗേളേ, പാചകം നിര്‍ത്തി, ഇനി ഒന്‍ലി വാചകമടി;)

Anonymous said...

Wishing peace, health, and happiness in 2007 and always. Happy New year to you and your family !

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice Blog,, i will like to Blog Roll with you Check my Recipes List

Anonymous said...

ദിലു പറയാത്ത്‌ ഒരു കൂട്ടു അവസാനം വന്നൂലോ....താനെ...നാവിലു വെള്ളമെ!..നമുക്കിതൊനും ഉണ്ടക്കാനുള്ള പങ്ങില്ലാലൊ....

brivjiharam.blogspot.com

Portia said...

wow i have never heard of most of those and they all sound incredible!! what is the origin? i hope you're having a wonderful trip...

സഹോധരന്‍ said...

Well reshma checi i think u missed one of the most tasty(in my vision)dishes... Noolputtu????

bawa said...

I enjoy trying out your recipes, but looking at this old post today I am struck by how different such memories are: although my mum's kitchesn was unusually inter and intra-national cos of her malaysian birth and upbringing.My 10
saag and makki di roti, mein (noodles), sambhar-dosa-coconut chutney, champaN (lamb chops), karhi-chawal, mutton biryani, stuffed, esp aloo & mooli parathas, her mango achar, the aloos for pooris, and her supreme sunday lunch: mutton curry (punjabi) with rice, rasam (tamilian) and shodhi (buttermilk based thin curry) and punjabi papads. A meal to die for, and it took place nearly every sunday!