Monday, June 19, 2006

How can I hold a moon beam in my hands?



Shilpa from Aayi's recipes tagged me with the meme 10 Things I miss the most from my mom's cooking and BDSN from Taste Corner tagged me with 10 Dishes I miss the most. It made sense to me to combine the memes, and so here's my list

10 Dishes that I miss the most from my mom's kitchen : (not in any order)

The single line from the song from the movie Sound of Music is playing continously in my head now How do you hold a moon beam in your hand :)

1. Fish Molly : a coconut milk based fish curry which combines a trace of tanginess from the tamarind and sweet richness of fresh coconut milk .

2. Ripe plantain halwa: well ripe plaintain is mashed and cooked with ghee and sugar . Having no preservatives in it, this home made halwa won't keep good for more than a week, well it can't last longer than a week in our home anyways :)

3. Neeriya pathiri : A very traditional Malabari rice-roti , that's rolled out so thin that it's almost transparent.

4. Puttu : Her puttu is what puttu ought to be, so soft yet firm enough to hold its shape.

5. Drumstick leaf- jackfruit seed curry: simply good!

6. Semiya Biriyani: This is one snack that has been in my home since I can remember, thin strands of vermicelli and shredded chicken cooked with spices.

7. Her Chai: early morning, half awake me, newspaper, mom with chai - that's home for me.

8. Kadukka nirachathu / stuffed and fried mussels: a cup of tea, a plate of kadukka nirachathu and the music of rain - all smiles

9. Drumstick- shrimp-jackfruit curry: yes, am an ardent fan of the drumstick tree. This curry is eaten with plain rice.

10. I don't want to fill this space , because How can I hold a moon beam in my hands?
blame it on the song!

This was fun for me Shilpa and BDSN, Thanks for sharing this experience !
And , now that you have kindled all my culinary memories, I am off to my home tomorrow for a two months vacation. Adios Friends! Eat well and Be well!

22 comments:

RP said...

Have a great vacation!
And when you get time, please share the recipe for Ripe plantain halwa.

Sumitha said...

Wow,vacation!lucky you!

shilpa said...

Thats a good list :). Have a great vacation.

Annita said...

Have a great vaccation Reshma..Lucky you!!

BDSN said...

Hey Reshma...
Enjoy your two month vacation!!Cant wait to see more great recipes from your blog!

Mahek said...

hi
i am tagging you for a meme
CONFESSIONSINAGROUPOFFIVE
PLS DO IT IF YOU ENJOY IT
BYE

archana said...

Have a happy time at home Reshma.
Archana

indianadoc said...

Enjoy your vacation dear!!

:: niKk | നിക്ക് :: said...

LG ടെ blog ല്‍ നിന്ന് ഇവിടെയെത്തി.

രേഷ്മ എടുത്തതാണോ ആ ഫോട്ടോഗ്രാഫ് ? നന്നായിട്ടുണ്ട്. :)

പാചകക്കുറിപ്പിനെക്കുറിച്ച് അഭിപ്രായം പറയാന്‍ ഞാനാളല്ല :)

Cool said...

I am Rajeesh.C.V, I am running a blog called http://keralastyle.blogspot.com/ and while searching I found your blog also handle the same topic. Would like to do a link exchange (ie I will put your blogs link in my link section and u have to do the same in ur blog also). Let me know whether u r interested or not. The advantage of doing this is, it will increase the traffic to both of your blogs. Please contact me at cvrajeesh@gmail.com

Inji Pennu said...

രേഷ്മേ,
തിരിച്ച് വരാറായില്ലെ? ഒക്റ്റോബറില്‍ വരൂന്നാണല്ലൊ പറഞ്ഞിരുന്നേ? എന്തോരം ദിവസാ ഈ കുട്ടിക്ക് വെക്കേഷന്‍?

Lera said...

Reshma, have a nice time !

Inji Pennu said...

Reshmakkutteeee
ivide aarenkilum undo? dum dum dum...

de ente blog
http://injimanga.blogspot.com

Inji Pennu said...

എന്റെ രേഷ്മേ..ഒന്ന് അടുക്കളയില്‍ കയറൂന്നെ

Reshma said...

Thank you Friends:)am back and good. taking a break from food blogging for now:)

ജിഞ്ചര്‍ ഗേളേ, പാചകം നിര്‍ത്തി, ഇനി ഒന്‍ലി വാചകമടി;)

Priya S&S said...

Wishing peace, health, and happiness in 2007 and always. Happy New year to you and your family !

John said...

Hi, Nice Blog,, i will like to Blog Roll with you Check my Recipes List

manu said...

ദിലു പറയാത്ത്‌ ഒരു കൂട്ടു അവസാനം വന്നൂലോ....താനെ...നാവിലു വെള്ളമെ!..നമുക്കിതൊനും ഉണ്ടക്കാനുള്ള പങ്ങില്ലാലൊ....

brivjiharam.blogspot.com

Portia said...

wow i have never heard of most of those and they all sound incredible!! what is the origin? i hope you're having a wonderful trip...

sahodharan said...

Well reshma checi i think u missed one of the most tasty(in my vision)dishes... Noolputtu????

bawa said...

I enjoy trying out your recipes, but looking at this old post today I am struck by how different such memories are: although my mum's kitchesn was unusually inter and intra-national cos of her malaysian birth and upbringing.My 10
saag and makki di roti, mein (noodles), sambhar-dosa-coconut chutney, champaN (lamb chops), karhi-chawal, mutton biryani, stuffed, esp aloo & mooli parathas, her mango achar, the aloos for pooris, and her supreme sunday lunch: mutton curry (punjabi) with rice, rasam (tamilian) and shodhi (buttermilk based thin curry) and punjabi papads. A meal to die for, and it took place nearly every sunday!

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa