Monday, June 19, 2006
How can I hold a moon beam in my hands?
Shilpa from Aayi's recipes tagged me with the meme 10 Things I miss the most from my mom's cooking and BDSN from Taste Corner tagged me with 10 Dishes I miss the most. It made sense to me to combine the memes, and so here's my list
10 Dishes that I miss the most from my mom's kitchen : (not in any order)
The single line from the song from the movie Sound of Music is playing continously in my head now How do you hold a moon beam in your hand :)
1. Fish Molly : a coconut milk based fish curry which combines a trace of tanginess from the tamarind and sweet richness of fresh coconut milk .
2. Ripe plantain halwa: well ripe plaintain is mashed and cooked with ghee and sugar . Having no preservatives in it, this home made halwa won't keep good for more than a week, well it can't last longer than a week in our home anyways :)
3. Neeriya pathiri : A very traditional Malabari rice-roti , that's rolled out so thin that it's almost transparent.
4. Puttu : Her puttu is what puttu ought to be, so soft yet firm enough to hold its shape.
5. Drumstick leaf- jackfruit seed curry: simply good!
6. Semiya Biriyani: This is one snack that has been in my home since I can remember, thin strands of vermicelli and shredded chicken cooked with spices.
7. Her Chai: early morning, half awake me, newspaper, mom with chai - that's home for me.
8. Kadukka nirachathu / stuffed and fried mussels: a cup of tea, a plate of kadukka nirachathu and the music of rain - all smiles
9. Drumstick- shrimp-jackfruit curry: yes, am an ardent fan of the drumstick tree. This curry is eaten with plain rice.
10. I don't want to fill this space , because How can I hold a moon beam in my hands?
blame it on the song!
This was fun for me Shilpa and BDSN, Thanks for sharing this experience !
And , now that you have kindled all my culinary memories, I am off to my home tomorrow for a two months vacation. Adios Friends! Eat well and Be well!